Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Collage Clutch

This purple clutch is made using Frond fabric, the punchwork tool for my Bernina 830, and a clutch frame from Pink Sand Beach Designs. Using Designer Plus V7 made it easy to use the punchwork tool.  The design for punchwork is much like a very close stipple stitch and is part of the digitized design.  This was my first attempt at using this tool and it is easy to use.  It does leave some fuzz in the bobbin area that must be removed. 

This is the project for the May lesson of Software Inspirations.  I did enjoy using the punchwork tool although I am not sure how much I would really use it.  Many of my stitching friends have a machine dedicated to felting.  I have a lot of projects that are in need of completion, so I will think about this for a while.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Jeans Jacket Challenge II

If you read my last post, you know my friends and I enjoyed a jeans jacket decorating challenge.  This is the second one that I finished.  The jacket was found in a thrift shop, so it was a reasonable price for tinkering.  The design is from OESD and is called Henna.  The design itself has the different sections of colors which is why I chose it.  The project was stitched on my Babylock Enterprise (10 needle) and did not have any trouble stitching over seams.  I used aquamesh plus and washed it out after stitching so there was not any stabilizer to make the jacket heavier.  This jacket has been a hit with people who have seen it.  Fun to make.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Jeans Jacket Challenge

One year ago seven of us when on a trip to the Paducah Quilt Show.  We saw lots of sights, beautiful quilts, vendors that made us drool, and purchased yards and yards of fabric.  One day we were walking along the street and saw a lady with a beautiful "crewel work" denim jeans jacket.  That evening we saw her at the night show and asked her about the jacket.  She had purchased it a Chico's several years before.  But we loved it.  We sat in our seats and decided we needed to make our own jackets.  So the rules were few but it had to be a denim jeans jacket and it had to be decorated by April 1, 2016.  Last week we had a group meeting and unveiled our jackets.  This is one of my jackets.  I have to say that I have never enjoyed a challenge quite so much.  I also have not completed my first idea for the jacket.  But this is the first one I completed:
I found it on e-bay and it was a large for $20, but certainly not large enough for me. It was a great fit for my neighbor who is a barrel racer.  It is done with Belagio crystals which come in sheets or rolls.  They are heat-set with a very hot iron.  The jacket sparkles with amazing beauty.
The back is as pretty as the front.  She has received amazing compliments on her new jacket. My friends also loved it.  And this has become somewhat of an obsession for me.  I have a couple more to show you this month.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Embroidery on Umbrellas

Umbrellas are unbelievably hard to photograph.  The top one is aqua and the bottom is black .  But they are beautiful.  They are a special project for a drama company.  To embroider on a umbrella it is necessary to cut some of the thread sites that hold the fabric to the ribs.  Once that is done, it is easy to find the center of the fabric section.  I used aquamesh plus as the stabilizer so I could stick  the fabric to it and then wash out.  It seems to have worked well.  It does take some time to reattach the fabric to the ribs, but I only cut the thread from two ribs-thank goodness.  Ready for April Showers!!

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Name Above All Names Quilt #3

In 2013, my friend purchased this pattern for me when I agreed to make her this embroidery quilt.  So I made one for her and one for me.  Mine was given to my church.  The pattern for the  small alphabet wall quilt came from OESD and was an original poster design by Krista Hamrick.  I googled Krista's web site and saw many of her other beautiful designs.  OESD has digitized several of her ABC posters, including a Christmas design and a family design and several others.  Her lastest OESD design includes each of the states of the US. (You should also see her Bible journaling artwork!) I have embroidered three of her designs.

Fast forward a couple of years and I found Beth Willis Miller who wrote several devotionals covering blocks on this quilt. The blocks cover 26 different names for Jesus that are used in the Bible.  She agreed to allow me to use the devotionals with a women's group in my church.  That led her to write a book of devotions covering all the blocks in the quilt. I am so blessed to have been even a teensy part of this inspirational effort.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Interlace XB2

This is the quilt I am working on right now.  The pattern is Interlace XB2, a free pattern from Frond Design Studios.  The quilt I saw originally was made with a white background and I think it made the colors a little brighter.  My background is Basicgrey from Moda.  It really is black with a little gray throughout (like a grunge fabric).  The bright colors are Life Goes On from Frond Fabrics. I decided to made it bigger and so it will end up to be ample queen sized. 

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

FSL Church

The little white church is from OESD.  I made it in December for our pastor and his wife. They both loved it.  The fabric is a white taffeta for the church and a sparkly taffeta for the snow on the roof.  It was easy to make, with the hardest part being putting the pieces together.  There is a hole in the bottom for a tea light and it gives off a glow at night. I really like it and have another one started.