Thursday, September 26, 2013

Montana Log Cabin

Another quilt tired of waiting for me to pull it out of its plastic tomb.  Montana Log Cabin by Janet Kessler started with a Benartex panel and woodsy fabric.  I still have to stitch the final border and then decide how to quilt it.  But it is almost complete.  Hurrah!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mug Rug

Yesterday was a very productive day.  I have the Wildflowers quilt stitched together and now I am mulling over the border color.  I agreed to be in a mug rug swap, so I needed to make a trial one to see how they look.  This is one of the Wildflower blocks that became the focus in the mug rug.  I think the flower is really too big and I need to use something smaller so that the design does not get partially covered with the cup.  Maybe a small flower at each end of the 6" x 10" inch rectangle.  We'll see what I find in my design stash.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Wild!flowers Too

I remember when I first saw this quilt in a Phoenix area quilt shop.  It was love at first sight.  This was the first embroidery quilt pattern that I used.  These blocks have been in a box for a while, so it was time they were set together and quilted.

The pattern is Wild!flowers from Smith Street Designs. I have also stitched More Wild!flowers and several of her other designs.  They are all beautiful. Overbrook Quilt Connection has her designs at the shop.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Strip Stacks

Several years ago I received a jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett brights.  I looked for just the right quilt pattern and finally found it at the Phoenix Expo.  Their quilt looked very much like this one.  The pattern is "Strip Stacks" by G.E. Designs. The quilt is easy and quick to make.  I used multi-color thread to meander on the bright fabric and black on the black-on-black fabrics.  The backing is also a black-on-black.  I really like this quilt.  It will probably be a Christmas gift.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Afternoon Delight Quilt

I have had this quilt kit for a while and this weekend was its time to shine.  I really is a quilt that can be sewn together in a few hours.  It is designed by Ann Lauer of Grizzly Gulch Gallery. I use the spray-baste-on-the design-wall method to layer the quilt. My bones like it much better than crawling around on the floor.  Now I am quilting-in-the-hoop.  The nine large blocks have been quilted with a design from the English Cottage Collection by Sharon Schamber of Purple Daisies, LLC. I am going to use dark purple thread in the triangles around the large squares.  It is going to be a nice wall quilt.

Friday, September 13, 2013


Several years ago, I made my friend Beverly a Jayhawk credit card holder.  She sent me a message several months ago and said her cord was frayed.  Wednesday we had lunch and she loved her two new credit card holders.  We always have a lot of catching up to do when we meet.  It was great to see her.

The credit card holders are made from three pieces of peltex. Pull on the cord and the card magically appears.  So easy to make.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Liberty Belle

This is my latest finish.  It is called Liberty Belle and was from a Snap Sack that I purchased from Mea Bernina, my local Bernina dealer. The kit contains the pattern, fabric, and backing.  I have seen the Snap Sack at quilt shops.  The have several different patterns. This is a small quilt approximately 10x26".  It was quick to make and then gave me another opportunity to quilt in the hoop.  The star square was quilted with a design that is on my 830.  It was just a matter of resizing to fit the block.  The stripes were quilted from a sashing design from the Classic Line Quilting collection.  I did use software to link the sashing design to make it longer.  I did have to rehoop to finishing the stripes. It will be a birthday gift.  

Monday, September 9, 2013

Triangles and Squares

This was a kit that I found in Paducah.  It really is not my colors but nagged at me for a while.  So it came home with me.  The quilt was pieced last year while we were in Arizona and I just finished quilting it with my embroidery module.  I am not sure where it will live its life, but I am glad to have it finished. In the near future it will be an example of machine embroidery quilting for a workshop.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chicken Wall Hanging

This is a wall hanging/ table runner made for my DIL.  It is a gift for her birthday.  The chicken designs are from Dakota Embroidery and the design of the quilt is taken from the September Software Sampler project. My Bernina 830 performed magnificently. I was a little worried that the squares were not looking like I wanted, but by the time everything was trimmed, it looked great. On to the next project...