Thursday, April 19, 2018

Ice Dyeing


 I found a white denim vest on sale last year and bought two of them. First I washed the vest and then soaked it in a washing soda bath for two days.  After letting it dry until damp, my neighbor put rubber bands in a dozen places.  Jill used grape, hot pink, and glacier blue dry dyes on the vest. Twenty pounds of ice and 48 hours later the vest was ready for rinsing and washing.  I love it.
When Jill came to pick up her vest.  Her daughter applied dye to a white cotton shirt.  She used grape, watermelon, hot pink, peach, and pinches of green. Twenty more pounds of ice and 48 hours later, it was ready for its reveal.  I know she will love her shirt.  It is amazing!

When I started to clean up, I had 40 pounds of water in the plastic tub.  I decided to throw in a white cotton blouse to see what color it would be.  It is a delightful purple.

We used the directions from a book entitled Having a Meltdown by Sondra Millard.  The directions are clear and easy to follow.  Great book if you want to start dyeing fabrics.



No comments: